HEALTHY OATS CHILLA
These 20- minutes savory Oatmeal Pancakes are a vegan and Gluten-Free breakfast Option.
· 1 Cup oats (rolled or instant)
· 1/4 cup besan (gram flour) ( substitute with Semolina)
· 1 1/4 water (2 tbsps more or adjust as needed )
· 1/2 to 3/4 teaspoon cumin seeds ( jeera or carom seeds / ajwain)
· 1/2 teaspoon salt ( adjust to taste)
· 1/8 teaspoon turmeric ( optional)
· 1/2 grated Carrot
· 2 tablespoon finely chopped onion (optional)
· 2 chopped green chilies
· 1/2 grated ginger
· 2 tablespoon coriander leaves ( finely chopped)
· 1 tablespoon oil or ghee
· Add Oats to a grinder jar and made a slightly coarse powder. If the powder is too coarse the chillas may break .
· To a mixing bowl, Transfer the ground oats, gram flour, salt, turmeric, green chilies, cumin, ginger, carrot, onions & Coriander leaves.
· Pour 1 cup water and mix to a lump free batter. Pour another 1/4 cup water and mix to make a thick batter. It must be pourable and spreading consistency.
· On a medium flame, warm a pan. If using a cast iron pan, drizzle a few drops of oil into the pan after it is heated enough, then spread with a tissue or piece of cloth. Let it really warm up.
· Stir the batter thoroughly, and then when the pan is hot enough, pour 1/4 cup of batter in the middle of the pan.
· It should be gently spread into a fairly thin, 6 inch pancake. Add a half tsp to a tbsp of ghee or oil to the edges.
Cook it on a medium heat setting until the base is well-cooked and set.
· Cook while turning it to the other side and applying pressure with the spatula. When the oats chilla is done, it will have spots that range from brown to golden.
· Cook the chillas for a minute or two on low heat if you prefer them crisp. on a serving platter, remove.
· Stir the batter thoroughly and make sure the pan is hot enough but not too hot before making the subsequent chilla. Additionally, the batter thickens as it sits, so if necessary, you can add one to two tablespoons of water as you prepare them.
· Serve the oats chilla hot or warm with chutney.